The Daughters of the Cincinnati was incorporated as a Society in 1894 by a group of women descendants of Revolutionary officers, one of its objects being “to advance and encourage investigation and study of the history of the Revolution…and to instill into the minds of the rising generations, a knowledge of, and reverence for, the inspired wisdom …and unswerving determination which successfully carried on the struggle for Liberty.”
To this end, the first Scholarship Fund was established in 1906 for the daughters of United States Army and Navy officers. The fund and the number of scholarships have increased over the years and are now available to daughters of career commissioned officers in all our Armed services. Our scholars are selected on the basis of academic achievement and excellence in extracurricular activities. The scholarships are awarded for four years; the amount of the award varies according to need.
All members of the Daughters of the Cincinnati are descendants of officers of the Continental Army and Navy. Their candidacies have been proposed and seconded by current Daughters or members of the Society of Cincinnati. Questions about the membership process can be directed to email@example.com or Daughters of the Cincinnati, 271 Madison Avenue, #1408, New York, NY 10016.
The Daughters of the Cincinnati is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Contributions are tax deductible as provided by law.
George Washington was the first president of the Society of the Cincinnati, founded in 1783. Its name was derived from that of the Roman general, Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus, who was called from his farm in 458 B.C. and again in 439 B.C. to assume the dictatorship of Rome and the command of its army. After victory was won and the safety of Rome assured, he returned to his plow.
Original members of the Society of the Cincinnati were American and French officers of the Continental Army who had served three years, or until the end of the Revolution. They banded together to continue friendships made during the war, to aid the more unfortunate among them, and to assist the families of fallen comrades. Each member contributed one month’s pay towards these purposes.